Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lets start with some fate

When I first came to Sweden I was a bit nervous about going to another country by myself not knowing anyone. I arrived in Stockholm August 17th and met Linda August 18th. I must say that my trip started off with a dose of fate.

It was a Wednesday evening and I was on my way to the city; I needed to go get a couple of things. I had to take the bus, train and subway from my place to get where I needed to go. When I was on the bus, two girls got on at the stop after mine. They were both beautiful and brunette. Before coming to Sweden people constantly told me that I would stick out like a soar thumb in the midst of beautiful, tall, blonde hair blue eyed Swedish girls. How wrong they were.

At the train station I was very confused. Everything was so knew to me and I did not understand all of the Swedish signs directing me into directions I wasn't sure I even needed to be. That is when I saw the two girls sitting waiting for the train. I walked up and asked them for some help. I gave them the paper with my directions and place and they luckily were headed in the same direction (the central station). Linda told me she would help get me there and that I could ride the train with them. We rode together and for about 15 minutes she told me all about herself and Sweden. The other girl was her cousin Sarah from Paris she was only visiting for the week. When were getting close to the central station Linda gave me her name so that I could add her on facebook in case I had any other questions. She was so kind to me by going out of her way to help me and make me feel welcome in a new place.

A stereotype of Sweden is that people keep to themselves. This is very true I find. Many students I go to school with, after 5 months still have not made a single Swedish friend. It is different here than in California. When you sit next to people on the train, subway or bus you don't say hi or talk to them. People do not talk to you unless its for a specific reason. In California, I am used to people saying 'good morning' or hello in passing. It is very different here in Stockholm. Even though I felt very lucky to have come across someone so nice I later realized just how fortunate I was.

That night I added Linda on facebook and she accepted. We chatted a little back and forth until she invited me to go with her and Sarah to her best friend Vanessa's house to have a glass of wine that Saturday night-- I agreed. With a little fate, being in the right place at the right time, I met a friend who I know will be lifelong. And so starts the story of my dear friend Linda and I. We look forward to telling the world about our friendship, how we have learned form each other, experiences in Sweden and how we will keep in touch living worlds apart.

- Alaura

No comments:

Post a Comment